Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Plums!

We started out picking 'some' plums for dessert... an hour later we had this much! Now I am reading up on how to make plum jam/jelly (what's the difference anyways) with honey instead of sugar. I already have the Pomona Pectin but am trying to figure out what calcium water is??? Also, reading up on chiggers! The kids and are quite itchy tonight. I am very disapointed that the sulpher didn't work. Such a shame, but wouldn't you know the more expensive stuff (Cedarcide) does the trick (at least, temporarily). So along with sharing your favorite plum recipes, any advice on killing chiggers would be greatly appreciated! But, back to pleasant things.... Quimby and Will had a great time climbing their "orchard" while Norah helped collect the ones off the ground. I picked, Roger shook the branches, and Susannah was just happy to be outside. I can't even imagine how many there are.... I just know that my plans for the rest of the week have changed! By the way, Susannah is six months now and crawling all over the place!
Time sure flies!


Next post will be pictures of our trip to Colorado!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

in Va i got Chiggers... Letting the dog out... and then he got them in my bed and it was a chigger mess!!! What i heard and did was put fingernail pollish on the spots... therefor suffacating them and then that's that!!! BUT wow they STINK!!! and wouldn't ya know this "northern girl" had NO IDEA what they were until i was an ichie mess!!!! less on learned... Stay away from the edge of the woods in sandy places... poor dog had them too... what a mess good luck with everything!!! ohhh and my mom used to can the plums whole... as a kid i remember LOVEING them!!! and calcium water... (i have head the same thing for apples as well) Someone told me it is just a Calcium Vit crushed up in water??? BUT for apples i jused to good old soak in salt water before i froze them.... good luck let us know how it turns out!!!!

Ginger said...

wow-that is so wonderful! fruit trees are the best. I cant beleive little girl, crawling already?? I havent even kissed her yet!
happy jamming! send me a jar!
love to you

Emily said...

Hey, I didn't know y'all had a plum tree! Did you leave any for Benjamin? ;-)

Emily said...

Emily again. I was looking for info about eliminating chiggers myself, and found this page: http://www.visitwimberley.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000109.html

We're going to be getting some sulfur dust this wkend.

HTH! :)