After much consideration, prayer and more prayer .... we decided to pursue our dream of living on land, learning to live off the land, and having a family business. We started readying our home to sell! (that was a bit stressful to the normal routine of life, I mean really, staging a house that six people LIVE in while trying to keep up with the regular things...) In February it went on the market. (I found that to be a bit stressful as well...living a spotless existence doesn't come naturally to me and especially not to my children!) We were spared having to live that way for long as our closing date came a month and a half after listing the house. Then there were all the logistics of moving... not everything fitting in the moving van, needing a place to stay 'between' residences, having to call the police to frisk the movers WE hired, you know, the normal stuff.... :) Worst of all though, the 'Goodbyes.' There were so many, an not near enough time to do them all properly... painful... although I'm sure there never would have been 'enough' time to my liking...but I will always say that I would rather have moved to Texas only to move away again than to have never moved there at all. So very many precious friendships were made... and so much learned... So the house sold, a sweet sweet family from our church hosted us for a week (they too had four kids!) then Roger continued to stay with them to finish his work obligations while the kids and I made the 900 mile journey to our new home in Kentucky! The next month was a blur of boxes, plumbing issues, no Roger, more boxes, still more plumbing issues, and no Roger! It is the end of May now and "Daddy gets to live here too" as Norah says. There are still boxes... but I suppose it will be that way for awhile as I figure out how we are going to function in our cozy 1100 square foot home. There are some minor plumbing issues left, 'drips' that aren't a problem unless we forget to dump the bucket when it's full! All to say, we are living and loving our little country life!
Monday, May 24, 2010
Long Overdue Update...
Alot has happened since 'Grain Free Banana Nut Bread!' So here is the 'short' version!
After much consideration, prayer and more prayer .... we decided to pursue our dream of living on land, learning to live off the land, and having a family business. We started readying our home to sell! (that was a bit stressful to the normal routine of life, I mean really, staging a house that six people LIVE in while trying to keep up with the regular things...) In February it went on the market. (I found that to be a bit stressful as well...living a spotless existence doesn't come naturally to me and especially not to my children!) We were spared having to live that way for long as our closing date came a month and a half after listing the house. Then there were all the logistics of moving... not everything fitting in the moving van, needing a place to stay 'between' residences, having to call the police to frisk the movers WE hired, you know, the normal stuff.... :) Worst of all though, the 'Goodbyes.' There were so many, an not near enough time to do them all properly... painful... although I'm sure there never would have been 'enough' time to my liking...but I will always say that I would rather have moved to Texas only to move away again than to have never moved there at all. So very many precious friendships were made... and so much learned... So the house sold, a sweet sweet family from our church hosted us for a week (they too had four kids!) then Roger continued to stay with them to finish his work obligations while the kids and I made the 900 mile journey to our new home in Kentucky! The next month was a blur of boxes, plumbing issues, no Roger, more boxes, still more plumbing issues, and no Roger! It is the end of May now and "Daddy gets to live here too" as Norah says. There are still boxes... but I suppose it will be that way for awhile as I figure out how we are going to function in our cozy 1100 square foot home. There are some minor plumbing issues left, 'drips' that aren't a problem unless we forget to dump the bucket when it's full! All to say, we are living and loving our little country life!




After much consideration, prayer and more prayer .... we decided to pursue our dream of living on land, learning to live off the land, and having a family business. We started readying our home to sell! (that was a bit stressful to the normal routine of life, I mean really, staging a house that six people LIVE in while trying to keep up with the regular things...) In February it went on the market. (I found that to be a bit stressful as well...living a spotless existence doesn't come naturally to me and especially not to my children!) We were spared having to live that way for long as our closing date came a month and a half after listing the house. Then there were all the logistics of moving... not everything fitting in the moving van, needing a place to stay 'between' residences, having to call the police to frisk the movers WE hired, you know, the normal stuff.... :) Worst of all though, the 'Goodbyes.' There were so many, an not near enough time to do them all properly... painful... although I'm sure there never would have been 'enough' time to my liking...but I will always say that I would rather have moved to Texas only to move away again than to have never moved there at all. So very many precious friendships were made... and so much learned... So the house sold, a sweet sweet family from our church hosted us for a week (they too had four kids!) then Roger continued to stay with them to finish his work obligations while the kids and I made the 900 mile journey to our new home in Kentucky! The next month was a blur of boxes, plumbing issues, no Roger, more boxes, still more plumbing issues, and no Roger! It is the end of May now and "Daddy gets to live here too" as Norah says. There are still boxes... but I suppose it will be that way for awhile as I figure out how we are going to function in our cozy 1100 square foot home. There are some minor plumbing issues left, 'drips' that aren't a problem unless we forget to dump the bucket when it's full! All to say, we are living and loving our little country life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
WOW, Courtney!
That is so awesome! I know you are dreadfully busy, but it WOULD be fun to hear more about y'all's adventures in living off the land.
Have you read the book Radical Homemakers? I just read it recently and it has me thinking in that direction also.
Sounds like y'all are on an amazing adventure and I wish you the best!
- Carrie
I haven't heard of Radical Homemakers, but it sounds good and I will definately make a note of it... Thanks! HOpe you and your family are doing well... It's great to hear from you! :)
From one Texan-born gal to another, we'll always be "Texan" in our hearts. Like you, I've lived many other places (having moved 8 times in a span of 3 years), places more beautiful than Texas in scenery but it was always good to come home to Texas and the people.
Courtney, we are so blessed to have known you and your sweet family. Your tenacity, courage and openess encouraged me and inspired me.
I pray you find as much joy and contentment from living off the land as we have been blessed to experience in our short time on our farm at Turning Ranch.
We'll keep in touch through blogging :)
Love ya,
Sherri
Post a Comment